Whether your skin is oily or dry, cakey foundation is a problem for all. If the skin is too dry and flaky, it’s not easy to properly blend the foundation. On the other hand, oily skin and large pores make the foundation crease easily. Foundation serves as a base for makeup, so it’s important to get this step right for a flawless makeup look.
Here are 7 tips for avoiding cakey foundation:
1. Choose a suitable formula for your skin. First of all, determine your skin type and buy a foundation accordingly. For oily skin, choose an oil-free, non-comedogenic and mattifying foundation like the Rimmel Stay Matte Foundation and Neutrogena Skinclearing Makeup. A moisturizing and creamy formula is suitable for dry skin like the Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation and L’Oreal Paris Infallible Pro-Glow Foundation. Mineral-based formulas work well for sensitive skin as they free from fragrances, preservatives, and dyes like the Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Loose Powder Foundation and Bare Minerals Pure Brightening Serum Foundation.
2. Buy a shade that matches the skin. We often make the mistake of testing foundation shades on our wrists. The foundation is a face product so its best to test it on the cheeks, jawline, and nose. Pick a shade that matches your face and neck. The perfect shade should blend in the skin and give you a naturally even tone.
3. Prepare your skin. If your skin is rough and patchy, foundation won’t stick to it. Make sure to exfoliate your skin to remove dead skin cells. Before you apply primer or foundation, properly moisturize your skin and then apply the products. Let the moisturizer dry completely before applying any product.
4. Prime your skin. Just like walls need a primer before painting, our face needs a primer before foundation. Basically, a primer works as a barrier between skin and makeup and helps keep the makeup last for longer. The primer provides a smooth application of foundation and prevents creasing. Use a silicone based primer like the NYX Studio Perfect Primer and COVERGIRL + Olay Simply Ageless Makeup Oil Free Serum Primer.
5. Apply foundation in layers. This is the most common reason for a cakey foundation. Most of us make the mistake of taking too much foundation and applying it in one go. To make the foundation skin like work in layers. Apply a thin layer of foundation, blend it and if you need more coverage, apply another layer. this way you prevent a thick caky foundation on your face.
6. Blend your makeup with a wet sponge The tools you use to apply foundation make such a difference on your face. Damp a sponge and use it to lightly press the foundation on your skin. Apply a gentle pressure when you blend the foundation, this will help set the product on your skin and prevent caking. Do the same when you apply setting powder.
7. Set your makeup with a powder or a setting spray. No look is complete without a setting powder or a spray. This will prevent makeup from creasing and keep it fresh for longer. If you’ve oily skin, use a setting powder or a mattifying makeup setting spray for long-lasting makeup. Try the NYX Professional Makeup Make Up Setting Spray.