Apple a day keeps the doctors away is a common proverb we all have heard. The same can be said about apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar is not just used in cooking but popularly used for hair and skin benefits. People drink it for weight loss and better digestion but does apple cider vinegar really work on skin?
Here are five reasons why apple cider vinegar may be the answer to your skin problems:
1. ACV is concentrated with amino, acetic, citric, and malic acid along with vitamins, minerals, salts, and enzymes. The powerful antifungal and antibacterial properties help with skin inflammation and infections.
2. Apple cider vinegar is an all-natural astringent. ACV is rich in potassium, which helps balance pH levels of the skin. It is also rich in minerals like sodium, calcium, iron, sulfur, potassium, and magnesium, which helps to cure eczema.
3. With its pH balancing properties, it controls sebum and oil production, minimizes pores and gives an overall smooth effect. It prevents your skin from becoming too dry or too oily.
4. ACV fights acne and is the best remedy for cleaning and minimizing large open pores. The exfoliating properties prevent scars and blemishes by removing dead skin cells.
5. Store bought skin toners contains alcohol which can disturb the natural pH of the skin. This result in dry, patchy skin, excess oil production, fine lines, and wrinkles. However, apple cider vinegar when used as a toner fights acne-causing bacteria, renew dead skin cells and improves the overall quality of your skin.
ACV should always be diluted with water as vinegar are concentrated liquids.
How to use apple cider vinegar for skin:
Apple cider vinegar toner
Dilute ACV in filtered or distilled water. Store it a bottle.
Soak a cotton ball in the solution and use it after you wash your face.
ACV skin soother
Add one cup of apple cider vinegar to warm bath water. Soak in it for 15-20 minutes for a relaxing and soothing feel on the skin. The acetic acid in ACV will help soothe the skin, and alpha hydroxy acids chemically exfoliate dead skin to reveal new skin cells.
Apple cider vinegar face cleanser
Dilute ACV in water and use it to wash your face. You can also use ACV directly on your face and rinse with water. Soak a cotton ball in ACV and dab it on your face. Rinse with water and pat dry. This will leave your skin glowing. Regular use of ACV will help reduce wrinkles and fine lines.
As with any product you apply on your skin, discontinue use if irritation occurs and don’t leave undiluted apple cider vinegar on your skin for a longer period of time.