Every other product we use has some sort of chemical in it, unless its organic. The ingredients written on the label are just a bunch of unknown chemicals. It’s not possible to completely eliminate chemicals from our daily use products but we can definitely limit them. Skin care products are usually expensive or full of chemicals. Chemicals such as Parabens and Petrochemicals have side effects on skin. Skin care and body products can be made at home using inexpensive natural ingredients. Products like moisturizer is a necessity and used all over your body. Its cheap and natural alternative is to use an oil like olive oil or coconut oil.
Mostly cleansers contains chemicals that are sometimes harsh on skin especially if you’ve sensitive skin. It strips away moisture from skin making it dry which causes either dry or flaky skin. If you’ve oily skin and use harsh cleansers, it will cause the oil glands to produce more oil making your face even more oily.
Did you know that oil is used for cleansing just like a face wash? Now you must be wondering what kind of idea is it to use oil and how it cleans the skin. Well, it may be new to you but there is an oil cleansing method which is used for all skin types even oily skin. It may sound odd to use oil on oily skin but in reality oil reduces oil production and balances moisture. It also helps to reduce blackheads and blemishes. If you’re suffering from acne, this method will work wonderfully on your skin.
Here is a direct quote from acne.org:
“Oil dissolves oil. One of the most basic principles of chemistry is that “like dissolves like.” The best way to dissolve a non-polar solvent like sebum/oil, is by using another non-polar solvent similar in composition: other oils. By using the right oils, you can cleanse your pores of dirt and bacteria naturally, gently and effectively, while replacing the dirty oil with beneficial ones extracted from natural botanicals, vegetables and fruit that heal, protect and nourish your skin. When done properly and consistently, the OCM can clear the skin from issues like oily skin, dry skin, sensitive skin, blackheads, whiteheads and other problems caused by mild to moderate acne–while leaving your skin healthy, balanced and properly moisturized.”
After you’re done cleaning your face with the oil cleansing method. It wont even feel like oil on your skin. Your skin will be clean and squeaky clean just like you’ve washed with a chemical cleanser.
Basically, a mixture of oil is used. Castor oil is mixed proportionally with olive oil, grapeseed oil or coconut oil depending on your skin type. Olive oil has a very similar PH to human skin, and is very nourishing with a high antioxidant content. It moisturizes, nourishes, and heals the skin. Castor oil is thick and dissolves the oil on your skin, pulling out impurities and environmental junk that builds up in your pores over the course of the day.
Here are the mixing proportions according to each skin type:
3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil and 1 tablespoon Caster Oil
2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil and 2 tablespoons Caster Oil
1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil and 3 tablespoons Caster Oil
- Start with dry face. Pour a quarter sized amount of oil mixture in your palm.
- Rub it in your palm to slightly warm up the oil. Now gently apply this to your face and massage. Gently massage on your face focusing on your nose or areas of blackheads/whiteheads. Follow this step for about a minute.
- Take a washcloth and wet it under hot tap water. Spread the washcloth on your face. Make sure your whole face is covered. The hot steam will open pores. Leave it on until wash cloth returns to room temperature.
- Massage your skin to bring impurities from pores to the surface.
- Rinse the washcloth under hot water. Now, finally gently wipe the washcloth on your face to wipe off the oil and impurities. Rinse the wash cloth again and repeat this step until your skin feels clean.
- Finally, splash cold water on your face to close pores.
Have you ever tried this method? Let us know !
Image source: Google Images